It can be difficult comparing house and land packages from one builder to another. Prices can vary and so can the inclusions of your build, it’s challenging to find the right builder and package without being hit with unexpected costs.
Here’s 10 suggested questions that may save you thousands of dollars when it comes to buying and building your new home:
1. WHAT ADDITIONAL EXTRA COSTS COULD YOU ENCOUNTER AFTER YOU DEPOSIT WITH THE BUILDER
We’ve all been guilty of throwing caution to the wind sometimes. However, in the instance of building a new home, don’t be fooled by a low initial deposit. A low initial deposit may mean you will be hit with other fees down the track. Be sure to ask the question of what payments will be required and when.
2. ARE ANY ITEMS IN THE BUILDER'S DISPLAY HOME NON-STANDARD?
Display homes are filled with lovely features and fittings but often not all of these are included as standard in your home. Ask for an itemised list of extras and their costs and make sure when comparing builders you are comparing apples to apples. View DRHomes standard list of inclusions to compare with other builders.
3. IS THE WATER METER INCLUDED IN THE BUILDER'S PRICE OR WILL IT BE AN EXTRA COST TO YOU?
Installation of the water meter & service varies with each council. But expect it to be anywhere from $1000 - $3000.
4. IS SMART WIRING INCLUDED IN THE PRICE?
With NBN now becoming readily available in estates smart wiring is not an extra, it should is expected.
5. WILL THE SLAB AND SITE COSTS BE FIXED EVEN PRIOR TO SOIL TEST AND CONTOUR SURVEY BEING PAID FOR?
Fixing site costs can be a fantastic way to not be stung by extra costs after soils and contours surveys. If you are working to a budget, it is a great idea to either get a fixed price package or have an amount set aside for any extra costs associated with the slab of your home.
6. WILL YOU BE PROVIDED WITH AN ELECTRICAL PLAN BEFORE PAYING A DEPOSIT TO CONFIRM THE AMOUNT OF DOWNLIGHTS AND CEILING FANS?
Understandably, your home will come with lights and most with ceiling fans. Knowing how many is another question altogether. Having an electrical plan prior to signing a contract is a sure way to ensure you are getting enough light fittings and ceiling fans throughout your entire home not just in your main living areas.
7. IS THERE A 3 COAT PAINT SYSTEM INCLUDED IN THE PRICE?
There is no better system in place for a quality paint job.
8. CAN YOU BE CHARGED EXTRA FOR OTHER COSTS DURING EARTHWORKS STAGES?
Usually siteworks have already been included in the price of your build. but what happens if your builders hits rock when doing your site cut? Will you be charged more? Just a few things to think about.
9. CAN YOU BE CHARGED EXTRA FOR OTHER COSTS FOR SLAB TYPE OR PIERING?
Many builders will include an “S” class slab in your build, DRHomes include a “M” class as standard. “S” class is the lowest class slab and if it is deemed that you will require a higher class slab on your build, you can be hit with a bill for thousands more for your home.
10. HOW LONG UNTIL YOU WILL RECEIVE A CONTRACT AFTER YOU HAVE PAID A DEPOSIT?
DRHomes have a process in place to ensure contracts are supplied as quickly as possible. Following soils and contours, our drafting team will draw up the final plans for the client to give the final tick of approval. If there are no changes, contracts will be drawn up straight away for the client to sign. Confirm with builders of the length of time between paying your initial deposit to receiving contracts
Knowing the answers to these questions prior to signing anything or paying a deposit may save you thousands of dollars. Don’t be afraid to ask the hard questions, at the end of the day you want a builder who is completely transparent with their pricing and extra costs.